Skip to main content

#DINEWITHME: SHINJUKU JAPANESE CUISINE | KINTA RIVERFRONT HOTEL & SUITES (IPOH)

Call me "fussy" when it comes to Japanese dining. Besides than good quality Sashimi that I had high hopes on, services that a Japanese restaurant provided are fairly important. Well, I understands, price versus quality too of course. I am not comparing the commercialized with a Fine Dining Japanese restaurant for sure. For some reason, small Japanese restaurant sometimes serves better food, I don't know why. 


Every year during the Chinese New Year festivities, me and my old schoolmates usually plan a night out for dinner. This year, we ditched the Western and continued our tradition in a Japanese way. 

We decided to have a try at the Japanese restaurant located inside Kinta Riverfront Hotel & Suites Ipoh, named SHINJUKU JAPANESE CUISINE. It is a stylish contemporary looking restaurant, very spacious and set with VIP rooms for those who prefer a private dining experience. 

Picture from Shinjuku's Facebook


My friends and I went on Day 5 of Chinese New Year where most restaurants in Ipoh town are fully booked. We managed to get a VIP Room for the night, thanks to the advanced reservation made by my friend, Carmen.

The restaurant was almost full by the time we arrived that day, around 8pm. The waiters and waitresses are seen busy running the floor's operation. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by the staff at the entrance and was ushered into our VIP Room. 

Since we were already hungry, I quickly flipped through the menu and see what's exciting for my dinner. It took some time for the staff to serve our drinks, let alone to get our orders. 

We ordered a Salmon Yee Sang to start off with, as the picture seemed quite convincing. Based on Chinese tradition, Yee Sang or Lou Hei must be serve as the appetizer due to its symbolism of "Good Luck" for the new year. However, the waitress came to inform us that our Yee Sang will only be served later due to the busy kitchen. So, we were forced to start without our Lou Hei - feeling Meh

To our disappointment, the Salmon Yee Sang came up to be crappy looking. The Salmon fish slices are extremely fishy smelling too. One of the worst Yee Sang I ever had this year! 

Picture shown in menu

Salmon Yee Sang (RM 38)
The actual product looks crappy, aren't they? 



Customers are entitled to enjoy the Jin Hou Bao Xi sushi platter at a discounted rate when they place an order for any Yee Sang. For the price of RM 80 per platter, I felt being cheated in a way. The platter came with Unagi Hako & Salmon Hako (3 pieces each), White Skin Maki (6 mini rolls), and Hotate Fuku Bukuro & Kani Fuku Bukuro (2 pieces each). I don't understand why does this platter worth RM 80, let alone RM 120 at the usual price. 

Jin Hou Bao Xi 
RM 80 (If you order any Yee Sang)
RM 120 (Without Yee Sang order)

What makes a good Japanese restaurant? 
It can simply be identified by the Sashimi being served. The rule is simple here. Just one word, FRESH. Seasonal fishes are often being offered for Sashimi platter depending on the availability, daily. As for the one we had, one of the fish came out to be mushy. Not so fresh I supposed?  





The service provided was also so-so. We got agitated by requesting for tea refills numerous times. Tired repeating the same process, we suggested the waitress to place the entire pot in the room instead. Or else, the service bell in our room will be working really hard that night.

Okay..The s
ervice might be interrupted due to Chinese New Year right? I should give them another chance to come back and try again in the near future. Fair enough? SHINJUKU JAPANESE CUISINE closes at 10pm daily. Last order sets at 9.30pm. Be sure to come early if you wish to dine here. 

Before leaving, we voiced out our comment to the Floor Manager about the food quality. He offered us some discount, off the bill as a token of apology. The restaurant was already empty at 10pm and we quickly make a move after a snapping a few photos. 

From left to right:
Carmen & her princess, Myself, May & her princess and Biky






#michiebillie #shinjukujapanesecuisine #kintariverfronthotel #ipoh #japanesefood #sashimiplatter #japanesedining

__

SHINJUKU JAPANESE CUISINE | 
KINTA RIVERFRONT HOTEL & SUITES (IPOH)
Facebook

Address: 
Jalan Lim Bo Seng, 

30000 Ipoh, Perak.  
Tel: +605- 245 8838

Opening Hours: 12pm - 10pm (Daily)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DINEWITHME: THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR | SS15, SUBANG JAYA (KL)

Whooppsss...I just had my dinner!  What am I doing here? Come on, it's Friday! Let's chill a 'lil - Dinner extended. To be frank, I don't have much time to spend around ever since I've joined an award-winning agency few months ago. Life's pretty hectic everyday, with extreme workload and countless days of overtime.  And just because I have relocated myself to another area, my hangout place changes too. What makes the best option would be the one nearest to my office, with less traffic congestion.  Thanks to my bunch of friends whom always put me on a priority, they make the effort to come to a meeting point near me instead.  I was brought to this restaurant the other day by my friends and I found it quite a waste not to share such an interesting place with all of you.  Let me introduce you to -  THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR. Upon walking in, I was amazed by their simple yet welcoming ambiance. I was ushered in by rows of wine displayed

#michiekitchen - WHOLE TOMATO RICE (SALMON & NORI)

Hey guys! Are you planning to try out the Whole Tomato Rice this weekend?  Let's tweak a lil' on the recipe and go Japanese - if you are a fan of Salmon & Nori ! This recipe that I'm gonna show you is so simple yet taste so good and, full of nutrition too :) 7 Health Benefits of Salmon, click here :  http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/seven-health-benefits-of-salmon-and-a-vitamin-rich-summer-recipe/ INGREDIENTS: (Serves 6- 8 person) 3 blocks of Fresh Salmon  Shredded Nori sheets (preferable those with sesame seeds) 1 piece fresh tomato (Large) - remove the stems 3 small cups of rice  Water (to cook rice)  * Reduce a ladle of the water amount - Tomato produces water when it cooks * SEASONINGS: Extra Virgin Olive oil Salt & Black pepper (to taste) - Reduce the salt, as Nori is salty HOW TO COOK: 1. Put rice, water, tomato & all the seasonings to the rice cooker and cook.  2. When the rice is ready, smashed the

#DINEWITHME: YUK SOU HIN | WEIL HOTEL (IPOH)

Done with my busy schedules, I finally have the time to sit down and blog about my dining experience at YUK SOU HIN @ WEIL HOTEL (IPOH) which took place about two months ago.  I was being invited by the hotel's PR Team at the first place to drop by and review the dim sum which was spearheaded by their   Hong Kong Master Chef, Mr. Chung Ho Shi but unfortunately I'm unable to attend. Later after that, I visited the restaurant with my mum when I dropped by in Ipoh the other day.  It was a busy morning. We went to the restaurant around 11am without any advance reservation, and it took us about 25 minutes to settle down with a table.  The restaurant was packed with customers that day, due to Public Holiday.  Not my first dining experience at Weil Hotel,  YUK SOU HIN  is the final restaurant to wrap up my adventure at this new hotel besides than  THE DECK  and  TIFFIN .  Bored while waiting, I started to explore around and tapping on my Iphone.  While wai