Skip to main content

#TRAVELWITHME: MY BANGKOK BOUND 2016 / 2017

Sometimes, happy life is pretty simple to achieve. Well, I have to say, my year of 2016 has ended with lots of good memories. One of my wish list was to travel with my family to celebrate Christmas & New Year, and I did. I was lucky to be able to make my wish came true. 

For most of you, Thailand maybe one of the country you've most visited in life. As for me, I love Bangkok a lot in person. It's a place full of smiles and things in Bangkok is much more advance and cooler than Kuala Lumpur I must say. - Sorry, no offence Malaysia! 


I live my life eating most of the time and I love exploring into new stuffs and places. This round, let us explore what's new in the heart of Bangkok. So, let's roll on! Follow me to check out what's trending and the latest hot spots where the locals hang out and about. 


Let me introduce my partners in crime this time - my cooler than ever lil' bro and le' mama. To impress both the 90's and 50's generation, a customised full itinerary is needed to ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip for all. So, read on. Let's start from the beginning till the last day of my journey. Off we go baby!


My bro & I

Day 1: 

Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok - Pratunam

Transportation: 

GrabCar (6-seater) from home to KLIA
Price: RM 70

Malaysia Airlines 
Kuala Lumpur - Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bangkok)
Price: Air Ticket depending on season 
Website

Airport Rail Link (SA City Line) from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Ratchaprarop Station

Price: THB 40/person




See you in 2017!

Cart full loads of cute furry bears at Harrod's KLIA


Our flight to Bangkok with Malaysia Airlines was pleasant. No flight delay, no bad services. The meal served on board was okay too. My murtabak meal came along with a pack of frozen ice cream and it was darn good! 




Oh yummy!!

The flight from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok took approximately 2 hours and 5 minutes. Once landed at Suvarnabhumi Airport, we quickly make our way to the International Arrival Hall between Gate 6 & 7 to get a new Traveller Sim card. It's easier to travel when everyone is connected via mobile. Depending on how many days you required, the one that we've got for ourselves are the 7 days Unlimited Internet package. I've forgotten the price, but it's definitely not the price stated on the package itself. 49 bath? Nah..


Since we arrived in Bangkok quite late, we decided to stay nearby the hotel area and get some good rest before we go crazy with our plans the next day. We ended our day with a delicious Thai dinner somewhere behind an alley inside Pratunam market. Gosh, I gotta say the dinner was really really good! We had Coconut Seafood Tomyum soup, Stir Fried Kangkung, Stir Fried Mixed Vegetables, a meat dish (I can't recall what it is), Fresh River Prawns with Glass Noodles and 5 fresh young coconuts with a price tag less than RM 100! 😱 - must be kidding me!! 


Day 2:
Good morning Bangkok! IKEA bag ? Ready.

Feeling extremely energized after a good night rest, we kicked start our Day 2. It's shopping day!  We decided to shop till we drop today before any other activities. Since the wholesale markets are all surrounding our hotel, we really shop like crazy! Well...the rest are history.  

Pratunam Market + Platinum Mall


Where the hunting begins!

Sorry no market or mall photos..as I'm busy buying my stuffs 😆
The aftermath - Not to mentioned, we brought home full luggages of clothes. One fruitful day.

At night, we walked over to the Night Market located outside of Palladium World Shopping Centre. The Palladium Night Market offers many DIY products ranging from accessories, bags, personalised clothes and souvenirs, to name a few. 

Palladium Night Market Opening Hours: 
6pm to 11pm daily






Stickers for my luggage bag..I almost bought the whole stall.. 😂
Lady boss gave me a few extras after purchasing a lot! 

Hungry like a hunting wolf, we walked back to the Pratunam Market to have our dinner. While walking around, I spotted a few down-to-earth mini stalls lining somewhere behind a hidden alley in the Pratunam Market. We stopped by to take a look to check what the stalls are offering. One of the stall immediately caught my attention when I saw customers are eating Mookata & Jim Jum on the floor with mats. 

All the vendors here could hardly speak or understands English. So, I could only use my fingers to point the food that I wanted to order. The mookata comes in a per person set. You can choose based on the number of pax you'd like to order. I chose one mix and one seafood set to try on. Incredibly authentic, I recommend you to try it. It's extremely cheap as well!




Another food you must try if you're here is the Pad Thai. This charcoal stir-fried rice noodles are so so good. We finished up two plates. 


After our fulfilling dinner, I found an interesting Ice Cream van. Oh gosh..I just can't decide which one to buy. 





I ended up with a pair of angel wings..

Here's the sweet ending to my Day 2 in Bangkok. 

Day 3:
Unicorn Cafe + Siam Paragon + Siam Center + AsiaTique The Riverfront 



Street photography @ Pratunam

Breakfast time!
One thing that I will eat repeatedly whenever I'm in Bangkok are the Stewed Pork Knuckle Rice and Kuay Chap. You can find a decent and tasty one around Pratunam area. I had mine in the Platinum Mall.

KHAOKHAMU-TROK-SUNG
Floor 6F, Zone 2, Soi -, Room P.1  

Stewed Pork Knuckle rice 

KUAY CHAP RAJDUMNERN
Floor 6F, Zone 2, Soi -, Room P.12

Kuay Chap


Moving forward to Day 3 of our Bangkok Bound, we travelled to the land of unicorns. One of the Top 10 Themed Cafe in Bangkok, UNICORN CAFE..Gotta try their Signature - The Rainbow Cake! Yummzz..so delicious!

HOW TO GET THERE: 
▶ Take the BTS to Chong-Non–Si Station , Exit 2.
▶ Walk towards Sathon Road then turn left for Sathorn Soi 8. 
   (There is a 7/11 shop in front of Sathorn Soi 8.)
▶ Enter Sathorn Soi 8 for 50 metres.
▶ Unicorn cafe will be at the first corner (on the left)

If you're bringing along the kids with you, UNICORN CAFE is the place you might want to consider. 










RECOMMENDED: 
Rainbow Cake




Out from the unicorns land, we headed over to Siam Paragon for our late lunch.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year from Bangkok!



NANTSUTTEI RAMEN 5 years Ramen Champion
991/1 Rama 1 road | Siam Paragon, G FloorBangkok 10330Thailand

Claimed to be the 5 years Ramen champion, their ramen indeed speaks for itself - springy and the broth are absolutely delicious! It's one of the best ramen I have ever had. Be ready to queue along the bee line, especially during peak hours. 





Slurpppp...Delicious!

After our meal, we took the BTS to Saphan Taksin station. From there, we hop on to the ferry at the pier and cruise along the Chao Phraya river to one of Bangkok's Newest Night Market - ASIATIQUE THE RIVERFRONT. The boat ride took approximately 15 minutes to arrive to the destination. The free shuttle leaves from Saphan Taksin station every 15 minutes; starting as early as 4:30pm and the last ferry leaves the Asiatique pier at 11:30pm. 

Since it's my first time there, I wasn't aware that there are free shuttle provided to Asiatique. We paid for the boat ride to one ferry shuttle provider. Take note, do not pay like what I did. You can enjoy the ride without paying a single cent.




Day 4:

P’Aor (ร้านพี่อ้อ) + B-Story Cafe + Chocolate Ville + Talad Neon 

Out to discover...

Woman is always "right"..haha...

Couldn't miss a single time whenever I get to see the ChaTraMue Original Thai Tea! Extremely cheap in Bangkok, selling at THB 45 only. 

THB45 only? Can't be so cheap!


Well, the initial plan on Day 4 in Bangkok was to visit the famous P'Aor for some spicy Tom Yum Goong noodles. Unfortunately, P'Aor was closed due to the holiday season. So, we didn't get to taste it - Too bad...

How to get there:
▶ BTS to Ratchathewi station. 
▶ Walk over to Petchaburi Soi 5 and make a right turn onto the soi. 
▶ Walk down the street about 300 meters (Fruit / Pineapple vendor on the side) – that’s where you turn right onto a small quieter street. 
▶ Walk about 50 meters or so, and P’Aor (ร้านพี่อ้อ) is on your left hand side.





Since our plan failed, we changed our lunch destination to another hipster cafe in Bangkok; B-STORY CAFE which is located not far away (walking distance from P'Aor).







Wanted to know more? Read my full dining experience at B-STOREY CAFEhere
After our lunch, we hop on to CHOCOLATE VILLE


How to get there:

▶ BTS from Ratchathewi to Mo Chit station (Sukhumvit Line)
▶ MRT Mo Chit to Lat Phrao station (Blue Line)
▶ Grabcar from Lat Phrao station to CHOCOLATE VILLE (Fare: THB408)
















Ya'll know this is good!
Come try these out...the ribs speak for itself..

View from the restaurant at night..




Taxis are conveniently available outside at the main entrance of CHOCOLATE VILLE. Yes, we grab a taxi back to Pratunam (Well..it's the only transportation available anyway). Price is cheaper compared to the fee I paid for my Grabcar when the time we came.  

Our last destination before heading back to the hotel - TALAD NEON (Neon Night Market Bangkok). It's located at Petchaburi Road, between sois 23 and 29 in Pratunam. You can see The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam not far away from TALAD NEON.

Address:
1087 ถนน เพชรบุรีตัดใหม่ Khwaeng Makkasan, Khet Ratchathewi, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10400, Thailand

Landmark: The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam



What to expect at TALAD NEON?
Here, you will find loads of food & drinks stalls and In-Trend apparels; flea market style. 














Iced blended Coconut...yummy! 

Glutinous Sweet Corn
When you bite 'em, the texture is chewy like glutinous rice balls...



Day 5: 

(UN) Fashion Cafe + Perhaps Rabbit + Mangkorn Seafood

Last day in Bangkok. 
We decided to just walk around Ekkamai and hunt for food. 

About 10 minutes walk from Ekkamai BTS Station, this cottage-caravan look-a-like building housed a tiny lil' cafe that serves extremely good coffee & food. (UN) FASHION CAFENot only operates as a cafe that provide relaxing place for a piece of cake or a cup of coffee, it also offers affordable vintage wear for all fashionistas. If you are doing cafe hoping around Thong Lor area, include this one in your itinerary!








Read my full review on (UN) FASHION CAFE, HERE

Right behind this cafe, there's another surprise just a minute walk away - PERHAPS RABBITS'. A cafe that brought me back to the Alice Wonderland world. 

Address:
5/1 Ekkamai 10 Alley, Khwaeng Khlong Tan Nuea, Khet Watthana, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10110, Thailand

















SIGNATURE DESSERT:
Blue Bunny Egg

Left Ekkamai, and traveled over to one of the famous BBQ seafood heaven in Bangkok. 

Popular among the locals, MANGKORN SEAFOOD Restaurant is a heaven for all seafood lovers. Located in Din Daeng area, this restaurant offers All-You-Can-Eat Seafood BBQ including drinks for only 399 bath per person! 399 Bath to satisfy that craving for BBQ Seafood? Gosh...you must be kidding me! Crack the crabs or shell the prawns as many as you can for up to 1 hour 45 minutes. 

To get here, the best way is to take a taxi ride from the nearest Huai Khwang MRT Station or direct from your destination. If you wanted to give a try by walking to the restaurant, be ready, it's going to be a painful job. I almost lost my breath being a dare devil trying to be "adventurous" that day..haha..





Click HERE to check out my BBQ seafood dining experience at MANGKORN SEAFOOD!

Day 6: It's time to leave


Here's the end of my Bangkok Bound 2016. Literally, it took me 6 months to complete this blog due to my crazy working schedules. Well, at last I managed to compile all the bits and pieces of my entire trip and compressed it to one. 

For those who plan to travel to Bangkok soon, hope this blog can assist in your trip planning. Till my next blog on my HONG KONG Bound 2017. Ciao BElla! 



#michiebillie #michieonholiday #bangkokbound #bangkok #perhapsrabbits #unfashioncafe #mangkorncafe #chocolateville #taladneon #unicorncafe #paor #asiatiquetheriverfront #malaysiaairlines #palladiumnightmarket #bstorycafe #nantsutteiramen 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DINEWITHME: THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR | SS15, SUBANG JAYA (KL)

Whooppsss...I just had my dinner!  What am I doing here? Come on, it's Friday! Let's chill a 'lil - Dinner extended. To be frank, I don't have much time to spend around ever since I've joined an award-winning agency few months ago. Life's pretty hectic everyday, with extreme workload and countless days of overtime.  And just because I have relocated myself to another area, my hangout place changes too. What makes the best option would be the one nearest to my office, with less traffic congestion.  Thanks to my bunch of friends whom always put me on a priority, they make the effort to come to a meeting point near me instead.  I was brought to this restaurant the other day by my friends and I found it quite a waste not to share such an interesting place with all of you.  Let me introduce you to -  THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR. Upon walking in, I was amazed by their simple yet welcoming ambiance. I was ushered in by rows of wine displayed

#michiekitchen - WHOLE TOMATO RICE (SALMON & NORI)

Hey guys! Are you planning to try out the Whole Tomato Rice this weekend?  Let's tweak a lil' on the recipe and go Japanese - if you are a fan of Salmon & Nori ! This recipe that I'm gonna show you is so simple yet taste so good and, full of nutrition too :) 7 Health Benefits of Salmon, click here :  http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/seven-health-benefits-of-salmon-and-a-vitamin-rich-summer-recipe/ INGREDIENTS: (Serves 6- 8 person) 3 blocks of Fresh Salmon  Shredded Nori sheets (preferable those with sesame seeds) 1 piece fresh tomato (Large) - remove the stems 3 small cups of rice  Water (to cook rice)  * Reduce a ladle of the water amount - Tomato produces water when it cooks * SEASONINGS: Extra Virgin Olive oil Salt & Black pepper (to taste) - Reduce the salt, as Nori is salty HOW TO COOK: 1. Put rice, water, tomato & all the seasonings to the rice cooker and cook.  2. When the rice is ready, smashed the

#DINEWITHME: YUK SOU HIN | WEIL HOTEL (IPOH)

Done with my busy schedules, I finally have the time to sit down and blog about my dining experience at YUK SOU HIN @ WEIL HOTEL (IPOH) which took place about two months ago.  I was being invited by the hotel's PR Team at the first place to drop by and review the dim sum which was spearheaded by their   Hong Kong Master Chef, Mr. Chung Ho Shi but unfortunately I'm unable to attend. Later after that, I visited the restaurant with my mum when I dropped by in Ipoh the other day.  It was a busy morning. We went to the restaurant around 11am without any advance reservation, and it took us about 25 minutes to settle down with a table.  The restaurant was packed with customers that day, due to Public Holiday.  Not my first dining experience at Weil Hotel,  YUK SOU HIN  is the final restaurant to wrap up my adventure at this new hotel besides than  THE DECK  and  TIFFIN .  Bored while waiting, I started to explore around and tapping on my Iphone.  While wai