Skip to main content

#COOKWITHME: KOREAN CORNBREAD / OKSUSU-PPANG (옥수수빵)

Hands up if you are big fan of #Corn!
Today we are going to make Cornbread, the Korean style - Oksusu-Ppang

Oksusu (옥수수) = Corn 
Ppang (빵) = Bread






What is Oksusu-Ppang (옥수수빵) actually? 
It is the memory of people who went to school decades before The American government was supporting Koreans' nutrition by sending them tons and tons of cornmeal. Some got the idea to make cornbread out of it and distribute the bread through the school system. After Korean War the school provided this daily snack to the students just before last class was finished. Oksusu-Ppang has an intense corn flavor and it's fluffy like a sponge.

Let's start making! 
__

CONRBREAD / Oksusu-Ppang (옥수수빵) 
(serves 4 - 6)

Ingredients:
2 cups / 280 grams Cornmeal
1 large Egg
1 ½ cup Milk 
½ teaspoon Salt 
2 tablespoons White Sugar 
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
2 teaspoons Baking Powder

1 tablespoon Butter (to grease baking pan)


Cornmeal is a meal ground from dried maize


How to make:

1. Pre-heat the oven to about 200 degrees Celcious / 400 degrees Farenheit
2. Combine cornmeal, egg, vegetable oil, milk, sugar and salt into a large bowl and mix well. Let it sit for 20 minutes. (Note: Letting the cornmeal soak will softens the gritty cornmeal and makes perfect cornbread).














3. Add in the baking powder and mix well. 
4. Grease the baking pan (8 x 8 inches square) with butter.





5. Pour in the mixture and bake for 30 minutes.








6. Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread to check if it's cook completely. You can always cook a few more minutes to brown the top of the bread.
7. Remove from oven. Let the bread cool for a few minutes and cut into bite size pieces. 





8. Your breakfast is now ready. Enjoy! :)




Tips:
Freeze leftovers in a plastic bag and reheat in the microwave to restore the fluffiness and moisture. 



#OksusuPpang #KoreanCornbread #cornbread #koreanbread #koreanfood #michiebillie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DINEWITHME: THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR | SS15, SUBANG JAYA (KL)

Whooppsss...I just had my dinner!  What am I doing here? Come on, it's Friday! Let's chill a 'lil - Dinner extended. To be frank, I don't have much time to spend around ever since I've joined an award-winning agency few months ago. Life's pretty hectic everyday, with extreme workload and countless days of overtime.  And just because I have relocated myself to another area, my hangout place changes too. What makes the best option would be the one nearest to my office, with less traffic congestion.  Thanks to my bunch of friends whom always put me on a priority, they make the effort to come to a meeting point near me instead.  I was brought to this restaurant the other day by my friends and I found it quite a waste not to share such an interesting place with all of you.  Let me introduce you to -  THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR. Upon walking in, I was amazed by their simple yet welcoming ambiance. I was ushered in by rows of wine displayed

#michiekitchen - WHOLE TOMATO RICE (SALMON & NORI)

Hey guys! Are you planning to try out the Whole Tomato Rice this weekend?  Let's tweak a lil' on the recipe and go Japanese - if you are a fan of Salmon & Nori ! This recipe that I'm gonna show you is so simple yet taste so good and, full of nutrition too :) 7 Health Benefits of Salmon, click here :  http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/seven-health-benefits-of-salmon-and-a-vitamin-rich-summer-recipe/ INGREDIENTS: (Serves 6- 8 person) 3 blocks of Fresh Salmon  Shredded Nori sheets (preferable those with sesame seeds) 1 piece fresh tomato (Large) - remove the stems 3 small cups of rice  Water (to cook rice)  * Reduce a ladle of the water amount - Tomato produces water when it cooks * SEASONINGS: Extra Virgin Olive oil Salt & Black pepper (to taste) - Reduce the salt, as Nori is salty HOW TO COOK: 1. Put rice, water, tomato & all the seasonings to the rice cooker and cook.  2. When the rice is ready, smashed the

#DINEWITHME: YUK SOU HIN | WEIL HOTEL (IPOH)

Done with my busy schedules, I finally have the time to sit down and blog about my dining experience at YUK SOU HIN @ WEIL HOTEL (IPOH) which took place about two months ago.  I was being invited by the hotel's PR Team at the first place to drop by and review the dim sum which was spearheaded by their   Hong Kong Master Chef, Mr. Chung Ho Shi but unfortunately I'm unable to attend. Later after that, I visited the restaurant with my mum when I dropped by in Ipoh the other day.  It was a busy morning. We went to the restaurant around 11am without any advance reservation, and it took us about 25 minutes to settle down with a table.  The restaurant was packed with customers that day, due to Public Holiday.  Not my first dining experience at Weil Hotel,  YUK SOU HIN  is the final restaurant to wrap up my adventure at this new hotel besides than  THE DECK  and  TIFFIN .  Bored while waiting, I started to explore around and tapping on my Iphone.  While wai