Skip to main content

#michiekitchen - HOW TO MAKE GOLD FISH "TONG YUEN" / GLUTINOUS RICE BALLS

Hey girlfriends!

If you wanted to try making a cute version of "tong yuen" or Glutinous Rice Balls for this coming Winter Solstice Festival, you might want to surprise your family with this lil' gold fishes!








THE INGREDIENTS:
Glutinous Rice Flour 
Water (Warm) 

Charcoal Bamboo powder (for the eye balls)
Rose Pink coloring 

and..*Lots of patience* :)

SYRUP:
Old ginger 
Red dates
Dried longan
Palm sugar
Water
(Bring all ingredients to boil)

or 

Pandan leaves 
Old ginger 
Sugar 
Water
(Bring all ingredients to boil)


TO TO MAKE: 

1. Sieve the glutinous flour into a large bowl to remove any lumps 


2. Add in warm water slowly to make a soft dough. Using warm water will make the "tong yuen" more chewy / Q after cooking. 

Please be extra careful and not to put too much water or the dough will be too soft and sticky. (In case you had put too much water accidentally, you can add in extra glutinous rice flour. )

3. Knead well till it forms a dough. A perfect dough should not be sticking on the bowl. 

Here's your basic dough

4. Once your basic dough is ready, separate into three portion and mix in the other 2 portions with the coloring. (Pink & Black)


5. You can start making the fish eyes first by kneading white dough into small balls to form the white part of the eyes. Followed by the black dough to form the eye balls. Make a batch of the eyes and put aside for later use. 

Be extra clean when making the eyes. Eyes does not look nice if you stain the white part with the black dough. 


6. Start forming your gold fish by kneading the colored dough. You can mix the colored with the white dough to make a different designs.

(Half pack of glutinous flour can makes approximately 14 gold fishes)

In this tutorial, I've made three designs:
  • Pink + White 
  • Black + White 
  • Plain Pink
You can also make different colors that you prefer. Example: Yellow + White / Orange + White


Here's the video I've made for your viewing on how to form the dough into gold fishes.  


7. Repeat until all the dough is finish. You should get the final product like this:


Gold fishes before cooking

8. To avoid the dough to stick on the plate, I've layered my plate with a cling wrap. It's easier to remove the gold fishes this way when you want to cook it. The dough can last in fridge for 1 or 2 days. *Please cover with cling wrap to avoid the dough from drying too fast*

9.  Cook the gold fishes in a pot of boiling water. It's ready when the gold fishes float on the water. Drain and put in the bowl. Add in the syrup and it's ready to served :)

Kids gonna love 'em!

Served in plain sugar syrup

Served in ginger, red dates & longan (palm sugar syrup)

Served in ginger, red dates & longan (palm sugar syrup)


Happy Cooking & Happy Winter Solstice everyone!

#glutinousriceballs #tongyuen #goldfish #fusiontongyuen #wintersolstice #michiekitchen





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DINEWITHME: THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR | SS15, SUBANG JAYA (KL)

Whooppsss...I just had my dinner!  What am I doing here? Come on, it's Friday! Let's chill a 'lil - Dinner extended. To be frank, I don't have much time to spend around ever since I've joined an award-winning agency few months ago. Life's pretty hectic everyday, with extreme workload and countless days of overtime.  And just because I have relocated myself to another area, my hangout place changes too. What makes the best option would be the one nearest to my office, with less traffic congestion.  Thanks to my bunch of friends whom always put me on a priority, they make the effort to come to a meeting point near me instead.  I was brought to this restaurant the other day by my friends and I found it quite a waste not to share such an interesting place with all of you.  Let me introduce you to -  THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR. Upon walking in, I was amazed by their simple yet welcoming ambiance. I was ushered in by rows of wine displayed

#michiekitchen - WHOLE TOMATO RICE (SALMON & NORI)

Hey guys! Are you planning to try out the Whole Tomato Rice this weekend?  Let's tweak a lil' on the recipe and go Japanese - if you are a fan of Salmon & Nori ! This recipe that I'm gonna show you is so simple yet taste so good and, full of nutrition too :) 7 Health Benefits of Salmon, click here :  http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/seven-health-benefits-of-salmon-and-a-vitamin-rich-summer-recipe/ INGREDIENTS: (Serves 6- 8 person) 3 blocks of Fresh Salmon  Shredded Nori sheets (preferable those with sesame seeds) 1 piece fresh tomato (Large) - remove the stems 3 small cups of rice  Water (to cook rice)  * Reduce a ladle of the water amount - Tomato produces water when it cooks * SEASONINGS: Extra Virgin Olive oil Salt & Black pepper (to taste) - Reduce the salt, as Nori is salty HOW TO COOK: 1. Put rice, water, tomato & all the seasonings to the rice cooker and cook.  2. When the rice is ready, smashed the

#DINEWITHME: YUK SOU HIN | WEIL HOTEL (IPOH)

Done with my busy schedules, I finally have the time to sit down and blog about my dining experience at YUK SOU HIN @ WEIL HOTEL (IPOH) which took place about two months ago.  I was being invited by the hotel's PR Team at the first place to drop by and review the dim sum which was spearheaded by their   Hong Kong Master Chef, Mr. Chung Ho Shi but unfortunately I'm unable to attend. Later after that, I visited the restaurant with my mum when I dropped by in Ipoh the other day.  It was a busy morning. We went to the restaurant around 11am without any advance reservation, and it took us about 25 minutes to settle down with a table.  The restaurant was packed with customers that day, due to Public Holiday.  Not my first dining experience at Weil Hotel,  YUK SOU HIN  is the final restaurant to wrap up my adventure at this new hotel besides than  THE DECK  and  TIFFIN .  Bored while waiting, I started to explore around and tapping on my Iphone.  While wai