Skip to main content

#TRAVELWITHME: SEKINCHAN, SELANGOR

SEKINCHAN - A town that I heard a lot about beautiful paddy fields scenery and delicious seafood meals. I never have the chance to visit this place back then. Thanks to my dear friends, I finally have the opportunity to explore this little small town of plantations and fishing village. Being my first time at the town, I found out life was pretty much back to the basic - simple and quiet I must say. 

BAGAN being the birthplace of SEKINCHAN in the early year of 1920's, when SEKINCHAN is a small fishing village. Inhabited by almost all Teow Chew, the inhabitants are mostly fishermen who depend on fishing for their livehoods.  

Being called as "Land of Plenty", SEKINCHAN is not only rich in fishes, it also has a broad coastal rice planting area. In year 1953, in order to segregate the villagers from the early Malayan Communist Party insurgents, Site A, B, C and Bagan was formed. Chinese holds the main population in SEKINCHAN. Site A , most of them Hokkien, 90% of the residences are farmers and has a total of 200 households. Meantime, the largest village Site B, mostly Cantonese & Hakka, has over 400 households and involved in both agriculture and business. Site B villagers owned many coffee shops, grocery stores and old shops at the main streets of SEKINCHAN. The smallest village which has about 350 households, mostly rice farmers would be Site C. Last but not least, BAGAN. A fishing village in SEKINCHAN, populated by 90% Teow Chew and depends on fishing as their main activities. The fishermen will go out to the sea as early as 4am to 5am in the morning to catch fishes and prawns and return home around 5pm in the evening, daily. 

Now, apart from being a lively fishing village, SEKINCHAN has become one of the major rice producing areas with the highest yields of rice in the country. It is often visited for its fresh seafood which often draws diners from Ipoh and also Kuala Lumpur. Even a local Chinese drama "The Seeds of Life" was set there. 




Our gateway to SEKINCHAN was short and sweet that day. It's more like a chillout session in fact as we did not went to many places. We started off with a lunch session at the CHA PO TION RESTAURANT, a restaurant famous for its shark soup among others. It was advisable by my friend to arrive early if you were to dine here. The locals usually come to dine as early as 9.00am to 11am for their breakfast. Yes, you heard me right. Seafood for breakfast! Towards the noon crowds, the restaurant can be a bit busy and chaotic especially on weekends and public holidays. I'm sorry for not able to share any food photos with you this time because I did not snap any. The food here is almost all spicy, and if you plan to order Mixed Vegetables, do expect it has fish meat in it and the dish is spicy too - totally not the one you normally had in restaurants. A meal for 7 pax came out with a price tag approximately RM 190, mostly all fish dishes. Whoaa...a price you can't get in town for sure! 

CHA PO TION RESTAURANT
9990B, Jalan Besar Bagan, 
45400 Bagan, 
Sekinchan, Selangor.
Tel: +6016- 6761 769  



Moving on after our lunch to the famous "Wishing Tree" at Pantai Redang, a place where many people make their wish by hanging red ribbons at the branches. Ribbons are available in the temple without any charges. But, of course a token of appreciation can be given inside, at the donation box. 









If you're not into making wishes, you can enjoy the cool breeze while chilling underneath the trees at the hanging beds. I almost fall asleep here! 

Top from: Wardrobe26




What's a beach without fresh coconuts? Further down near the beach, there are stalls selling fresh coconuts. Coconuts are available at RM 3.50 to RM 4.00 per piece depends of type. One best way to quench thirst on a hot day! Slurppp...

Fresh Coconut (RM3.50)


Lai Lai...Sar kor puah...sar kor puah (in hokkien).. LOL

After our refreshing drinks at the stall by the beach, we took a walk at PANTAI REDANG. Being one of the hot spot in SEKINCHAN, this beach has became a focal point for leisure activities especially kite-flying and bubble blowing. 




Sealed with a kiss 





We then make a move to the stalls around to snack away with some fresh Raw Oysters. The oysters are really small compared to the ones I normally had, about the size of 1.5 inches. It is served with a special chili sauce. Unfortunately, the sauce is too sour and it actually overtook the sweet taste of the fresh oyster meat. It could be better if it's remain in its original taste. 


Ending our trip, we make a final stop at the Fisherman's Wharf. This place is a complete different world from the city of concrete where I used to came from. I experienced how everything was done in a local fishermen's way from living to dining. It makes me think for a while. I still remembered when I got panic and excited at the same time seeing a huge iguana swimming underneath the restaurant! Just like a small kid, I screamed out of excitement. 



At the Fishermen's Wharf, you can enjoy the freshest catch of the day. Not eager to stop munching, we ordered some seafood to tried on. The blanched mantis prawns are incredibly fresh and the meat is extremely sweet! 





Fresh Shucked Oysters



Although it's a short one, the trip left me with great experiences and of course wonderful memories. I would like to express my gratitude to the three handsome "tour guides" for bringing us around. I will return the next round to fly my drone at the paddy fields when it turns yellow. Till then, see you next time again! 

#michiebillie #sekinchan #travelwithme #paddyfield #seafood #beach #redangbeach #wishingtree #bythebeach #daytrip #shortescape





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DINEWITHME: THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR | SS15, SUBANG JAYA (KL)

Whooppsss...I just had my dinner!  What am I doing here? Come on, it's Friday! Let's chill a 'lil - Dinner extended. To be frank, I don't have much time to spend around ever since I've joined an award-winning agency few months ago. Life's pretty hectic everyday, with extreme workload and countless days of overtime.  And just because I have relocated myself to another area, my hangout place changes too. What makes the best option would be the one nearest to my office, with less traffic congestion.  Thanks to my bunch of friends whom always put me on a priority, they make the effort to come to a meeting point near me instead.  I was brought to this restaurant the other day by my friends and I found it quite a waste not to share such an interesting place with all of you.  Let me introduce you to -  THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR. Upon walking in, I was amazed by their simple yet welcoming ambiance. I was ushered in by rows of wine displayed

#michiekitchen - WHOLE TOMATO RICE (SALMON & NORI)

Hey guys! Are you planning to try out the Whole Tomato Rice this weekend?  Let's tweak a lil' on the recipe and go Japanese - if you are a fan of Salmon & Nori ! This recipe that I'm gonna show you is so simple yet taste so good and, full of nutrition too :) 7 Health Benefits of Salmon, click here :  http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/seven-health-benefits-of-salmon-and-a-vitamin-rich-summer-recipe/ INGREDIENTS: (Serves 6- 8 person) 3 blocks of Fresh Salmon  Shredded Nori sheets (preferable those with sesame seeds) 1 piece fresh tomato (Large) - remove the stems 3 small cups of rice  Water (to cook rice)  * Reduce a ladle of the water amount - Tomato produces water when it cooks * SEASONINGS: Extra Virgin Olive oil Salt & Black pepper (to taste) - Reduce the salt, as Nori is salty HOW TO COOK: 1. Put rice, water, tomato & all the seasonings to the rice cooker and cook.  2. When the rice is ready, smashed the

#DINEWITHME: YUK SOU HIN | WEIL HOTEL (IPOH)

Done with my busy schedules, I finally have the time to sit down and blog about my dining experience at YUK SOU HIN @ WEIL HOTEL (IPOH) which took place about two months ago.  I was being invited by the hotel's PR Team at the first place to drop by and review the dim sum which was spearheaded by their   Hong Kong Master Chef, Mr. Chung Ho Shi but unfortunately I'm unable to attend. Later after that, I visited the restaurant with my mum when I dropped by in Ipoh the other day.  It was a busy morning. We went to the restaurant around 11am without any advance reservation, and it took us about 25 minutes to settle down with a table.  The restaurant was packed with customers that day, due to Public Holiday.  Not my first dining experience at Weil Hotel,  YUK SOU HIN  is the final restaurant to wrap up my adventure at this new hotel besides than  THE DECK  and  TIFFIN .  Bored while waiting, I started to explore around and tapping on my Iphone.  While wai