Skip to main content

#TRAVELWITHME: SHENZHEN (GUANGDONG, CHINA)

I've always wanted to write a post on my previous travel experiences. Digging into my Facebook albums and found out that lost of memories are concealed. Hence, I decided to write on it, thinking that the informations provided might be useful for travelers who might want to fly over on their next trip. Here's the whole trip of my holiday (I'm sorry if the blog takes some time to read through due to its long contents).

Let us fly to Shenzhen, China this round!

It was the month of December back then. The weather was cold and chilly. "Jacket, jacket and jacket" was the first thing that ran in my mind. China was actually not listed in one of my travel wanna-be places due to the fact that I could not read nor speak well mandarin.

Before travel to CHINA, you'll need to get your #visa ready in advance (advisable 7 days ahead to prevent rush). But of course, "Rush Application" is available, however it will cost you triple the price!


Depending on how long you want to stay there, fees might be differs. As for my case, mine was done as "Double entries" (MALAYSIA - SHENZHEN - HK - SHENZHEN - MALAYSIA).

Fees schedule: http://www.visaforchina.org/KUL_EN/generalinformation/visaknowledge/264467.shtml

Click here for visa application form: http://www.visaforchina.org/KUL_EN/generalinformation/downloads/264463.shtml

CHINESE VISA APPLICATION SERVICE CENTRE (MALAYSIA) 
Location & Office Hours, please click:
http://www.visaforchina.org/KUL_EN/aboutus/264483.shtml


Took the earliest flight to Shenzhen from Kuala Lumpur, and arrived safely at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport


DAY 1






Upon arrival, the first thing to do was to hop over to Starbucks and grab some hot drinks. While settling down, saw some brochures on the shelves. So, I walked towards and grab myself a copy. 

Excuse my sleepy face :)


Inside the brochure - Attractions in ShenZhen, China


Good thing for those who does not speak Chinese!

After my drinks, I then walked to the taxi stand to grab a cab to my hotel. While walking down, saw this "BRUCE LEE" guy in front of the restaurant. Known as Kung Fu Fast Food, it is one restaurant selling Fried Chicken (just like our KFC). Feeling funny, I put a smile and make my way to the taxi stand.

Kung Fu Fast Food, China

This is my first time travelling on road in China. Don't really like the way they are behaving on the road though. It just makes me wanna puke in the car - non-stop braking, cutting lines & traffic jam, jam and jam!

After a headache ride, I finally arrived at my hotel - Hilton Shenzhen Shekou Nanhai
The hotel is located next to the sea and extremely convenient for travelers. Within walking distance, you can reach Shekou Ferry Terminal where you can take a ferry to Hong Kong, Macau or even Hong Kong International Airport. Also, Sea World Shenzhen is just 10 minutes away.

For room rates, click: here



How stunning the lobby is!
WIFI is provided FOC here, at the lobby..


Piano on the water feature, cool!


While waiting for Check-In


Lobby's Washroom




Gym




View from my floor

Since I can't access Facebook in China, #Instagram is the best tool to update my journey and share it to my Facebook page. This is how I survived there for 6 days! 

Picture from my #Instagram @michie_billie


Now, let's check out the room! 

You might want to request a room facing the SEA WORLD. At night, you can watch the rhythmic water performance live in your room without walking out from the hotel! 

Photo from: Hilton's website


Working desk 


Mini bar area 
- fully replenished with variety of awesome coffee & tea selection


Twinings Tea - one of the selection from the mini bar


Peter Thomas Roth Toiletries provided & replenished daily

Rhythmic water performance live at 
SEA WORLD from my room 


After sending my luggage up to the room, I quickly make my way down to the lobby and grab a drink by the magnificent ocean view.

Life is good, isn't it?


It was so cold that I need to hide my hands in between the legs!

After freezing out by the ocean for about half an hour, my next task is to check out the place nearby. Just 10 minutes away from Hilton, I'm here at SEA WORLD SHENZHEN. My tummy is growling in the cold weather! So, we decided to to fill up the empty stomach. Since we're in China, we dine as a local to experience the local way.





Whole chicken broiled soup, Stir fry bean curd with veggie 
& Stew pork in bean curd sheets

It was still early after lunch, so we took a train and traveled to another area  -COASTAL CITY NANSHAN.

Getting There: by Metro (subway) 
Take Shekou Line (Line 2) and get off at Hou Hai Station



A zoomed in version for better viewing

SHENZHEN METRO Schedule & Ticketing, click: 





A few stations away, we finally reached Coastal City. It's cold and windy at the same time. In Malaysia, we don't normally experience this kind of weather, I just love the weather here during winter season! 







Coastal City is a new retail shopping and leisure destination located in Nanshan District. It will takes you a few visits before you truly get your bearing as the mall is split across three separated multi-floor buildings. After a walk, we hang out at a cafe nearby - GAGA CAFE. You can spot this cafe easily as you walk along the area. It's very cozy and the cafe serves good coffee and food too.





A glance of GAGA Cafe 


*MUST TRY* 
Hot pancakes in blueberry sauce






Blueberry Cheese Cake






Getting cold? 
There's a huge warmer to keep you warm outside the cafe
Cool isn't it?

As the night getting darker, we make a move back to the hotel. 


At hotel lobby 
- Playing games & Updating Instagram while checking emails


All-day dining restaurant

After taking some rest, we then decided to check out the night street & hunt for food. It's getting colder and colder as time passed. I'm freezing!



SEA WORLD Night View (Panorama)




Instagram-worthy scene








You can get Fresh seafood here..


Or maybe some Parma Ham or Shrimps

We walked out from SEA WORLD to another end and spotted a stall by the roadside selling BBQ stuffs. Tempted to give it a try, we stop by and ordered a few sticks. I was advised to be extra careful while eating in China especially by the road side stalls due to fake food and unhygienic preparation, but I just never thought much at that moment. 

The BBQ stalls


Waiting in cold for my food


Tadaaa...my BBQ Chicken wings are ready!
(Yea..one great experience eating by the roadside with low table & chairs)

I do have a habit to run into the local 7-Eleven to check out their shelves whenever I travel. I did the same this round. What's the difference between 7-Eleven in Shenzhen compared to KL's? Let's check it out!

Carlsberg CHILL
(Maybe I dun drink beer often, it's not available in our country right?)


Chicken wings Pre-packed


And we definitely don't have these in our 7-Eleven!


Packed home some bottled yogurt  as my bed time story


It's bed time! Good night peeps..

DAY 2

Good morning Shenzhen! 

It's time for breakfast. I felt hungry already by looking down from the staircases. 













Here's what I had for my breakfast:

This yogurt is so delicious!


My thick slice of Smoked Salmon paired with a slice of cheese on the bread



After breakfast, we headed out for dim sum again. Sounds crazy right? Yes, we did! I can't really recall which mall I've been to for this dim sum place as we were given a ride by my friend's relative. What we had was totally insane despite only rested for half an hour before we continued to eat again. 

The restaurant was full with patrons at the time we arrived. After some time waiting, we managed to get a table. What triggered my curiosity was every single ladies' bag was chained on their chair itself; included mine. I was then being told that, this is to prevent thieves / lost of belongings during patronizing period.

DO NOT STEAL!
The waiter help you to chain up your handbag while dining in the restaurant

Here's some of the food we had for lunch:

Prawn dumplings (Har Gao)


Hot Stone Pork Ribs


Roasted Goose &  Braised Cow's stomach


Deep fried Herbal Jelly / Guilingao served with sweetened milk 

We left the mall after that and headed back to the hotel. To combat the soon-to-explode stomach, we decided to take a walk to SEA WORLD. Since my hotel is just nearby within walk distance, you'll see me hanging around this area quite often. 



Beautiful flowers!






SEA WORLD - Day Time


Close up with the cruise

After walking around to check on the place, we stopped by at a cafe nearby to catch a drink before heading back to hotel and get prepared for the function at night.

Au Lait


Enjoying my cuppa evening coffee at SEA WORLD 
(Forgotten the cafe's name, but location is next to Pacific Coffee)


All set for the night




Dress from: #Wardrobe26








Pretty Gogo & I (Hilton's ballroom)

After the function, I went up to the room and get changed. The party continued at hotel's lobby lounge. 


Long coat from: Wardrobe26




White top from: Wardrobe26


Wine session at Lobby Lounge


Variety wines & champagnes available at the lobby lounge


We shifted to SEA WORLD again after the wine session ended. Drinking session continued at one of the local's famous bar around Shekou area - THE TERRACE







Salted popcorn is served as snacks to compliment the champagne

THE TERRACE 
(Above Starbucks, Sea World)

Address: SEA WORLD, Taizi Road, Nanshan, 
Shenzhen, Guangdong China, 51800
Phone: +86 755 2682 9105
Opening hours: 11.00am - 2.00pm / 6.00pm - 2.30am 



Bought this Garfield toy @ RMB 18 from Shenzhen's MCD during supper 
(Till now, I don't see it in Malaysia yet)


Happy with the night, we called it a day. Till tomorrow!

DAY 3

The 3rd day of my trip away from home. 

As usual, I went down to had my breakfast. I'm not a breakfast person, but whenever I travel I wouldn't miss out my morning meal. The hotel staffs prepare different seating arrangement for guests everyday during breakfast hours. Today, I was being seated at a nice area.



Wanton soup


My luxury version of Smoked Salmon omelette


It's time to go out after breakfast!

Some spiciness was added on our lunch today. We had Szechuan "Mah Lat" Hot Pot on a cold afternoon; with the French!

Mah Lat Hot pot with the French! LOL....


"Mah Lat" soup base with bean curds

We headed down to Dong Men for shopping after the spicy lunch via train. Got down at Lo Wu Station and our shopping frenzy begun from here. This place is full of people everywhere; so loud and noisy at each and every corner we went! 

We stopped by at a stall when this skewer master caught my attention. Grilling every stick of the squid patiently, the smell is awesome. 

The Squid Master


*MUST TRY* Grilled squid


*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Grilled Fresh Oyster with garlic paste & scallions
(I just can't get enough with this!)


At Dong Men Pedestrian Street - Eat like a Queen

After the delicious street foods, we took a train back to the hotel. That's how my third day ended. Time to rest.

DAY 4

Another beautiful day here in Shenzhen. 

I'm pretty much excited today as we'll be hopping to Hong Kong for a day trip. Not my first time in Hong Kong, but I'm still looking forward to my day over there. 

My daily routine - Breakfast time!


Breakfast of the day




Boots day

Took a little morning walk to SHEKOU FERRY TERMINAL after my breakfast. It was a cold sunny morning today. 









Wouldn't gets bored with the beautiful scenery


A cool piece of art by the street


We're here at SHEKOU Ferry Terminal

To prevent squeezing with people, we bought the First Class ticket. 



At the pier


Hot tea is served during the journey


First class 

A photo of me on board

Sailing time is approximately 50 minutes to reach Central, Hong Kong from Shekou, Shenzhen. 

Welcomed by the blue sea upon arrival :)




Central, Hong Kong





Craving for some Hong Kong Styled food, we walked to the shop where I used to visit last time for some Milk Tea and Polo Bun. I couldn't recall the name of this shop as you know I can't read in Chinese. You may try your luck finding it while you're in Central area.

The shop's name (If you can read in Chinese)


A very small shop with fierce waitresses..LOL

This shop is extremely small. If you can't read in Chinese, please ask for an English menu. They do have it, no worries. Be sure to order and eat fast! You might get screwed by the waitress if you're taking too long to place an order. Expect to share your table to others if you were to dine here. 



We should be thankful that our teh tarik in Malaysia 
is much more cheaper compared to HK..LOL


Signature Pork Chop bun, Hong Kong Styled Milk Tea & Noodles


Sliced beef, Brown squid slices, Pork Skins & White Carrot Noodles 
served with a spoon of fried garlic

Alright, is this bowl of noodles looked totally different than those in Malaysia? Yes, this is the soup version of the Hong Kong noodles served here. You may choose the type of  noodles and side dishes you preferred.

Before leaving Central to Mong Kok, we stopped by at one of the famous medicine shop for some Herbal Jelly. GOOD SPRING COMPANY LIMITED (Chun Wui Tong) being one of the Hong Kong's oldest herbal pharmacies. You gotta try them if you're in Central, Hong Kong!


GOOD SPRING COMPANY LIMITED
G/F 8, Cochrane Street, Central, Hong Kong.
(Opening hours: 8.45am - 10.00pm)





GETTING TO MONG KOK:
Take the Tsuen Wan line from Central to Mong Kok station. 
Fare (by Octopus card): HKD 11.10 one way 



At Tung Choi Street (Ladies Market)

After some shopping done, we rushed back to Shenzhen for New Year Celebration party before the last ferry leaves. Once arrived, we jumped back to the hotel for a shower and get ready for the countdown.



Outfit of the night from: Wardrobe26





The party continued till wee hours. 
End of day 4


DAY 5

Last day in Shenzhen. 



Breakfast of the day


Breakfast of the day






Last day walking on this peaceful street..

Out from the hotel, we went to our last destination. A place full with crowd - which I do not know where due to my Chinese reading efficiency. 





Due to the noisy crowd that I could not able to tolerate anymore, we stopped by at a  restaurant for dim sum lunch. 

Ahh...peaceful ears!


Steamed Prawn Dumplings & Xiao Loong Bao


Steamed Pork Ribs with Black beans


Fried Turnip Cake


Steamed Bun


After the lunch, we traveled back to the hotel by cab. At first we thought, cab would be the easiest & fastest way rather than to squeeze in the train again. We were so wrong! The massive jam caused us stuck for more than 1 1/2 hours on the road, not moving. (Please think twice if you wanna take the cab in Shenzhen, especially during holiday season).

We call it a day early as we need to pack for tomorrow's flight.

DAY 6

Flying home. 




Here's a wrap on my trip. Till the next post :)

#michiebillie #travel #shenzhen #china #trip 

(All photos in this blog are copyright of page owner)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#DINEWITHME: THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR | SS15, SUBANG JAYA (KL)

Whooppsss...I just had my dinner!  What am I doing here? Come on, it's Friday! Let's chill a 'lil - Dinner extended. To be frank, I don't have much time to spend around ever since I've joined an award-winning agency few months ago. Life's pretty hectic everyday, with extreme workload and countless days of overtime.  And just because I have relocated myself to another area, my hangout place changes too. What makes the best option would be the one nearest to my office, with less traffic congestion.  Thanks to my bunch of friends whom always put me on a priority, they make the effort to come to a meeting point near me instead.  I was brought to this restaurant the other day by my friends and I found it quite a waste not to share such an interesting place with all of you.  Let me introduce you to -  THE PENTHOUSE RESTAURANT & WINE BAR. Upon walking in, I was amazed by their simple yet welcoming ambiance. I was ushered in by rows of wine displayed

#michiekitchen - WHOLE TOMATO RICE (SALMON & NORI)

Hey guys! Are you planning to try out the Whole Tomato Rice this weekend?  Let's tweak a lil' on the recipe and go Japanese - if you are a fan of Salmon & Nori ! This recipe that I'm gonna show you is so simple yet taste so good and, full of nutrition too :) 7 Health Benefits of Salmon, click here :  http://www.chatelaine.com/health/diet/seven-health-benefits-of-salmon-and-a-vitamin-rich-summer-recipe/ INGREDIENTS: (Serves 6- 8 person) 3 blocks of Fresh Salmon  Shredded Nori sheets (preferable those with sesame seeds) 1 piece fresh tomato (Large) - remove the stems 3 small cups of rice  Water (to cook rice)  * Reduce a ladle of the water amount - Tomato produces water when it cooks * SEASONINGS: Extra Virgin Olive oil Salt & Black pepper (to taste) - Reduce the salt, as Nori is salty HOW TO COOK: 1. Put rice, water, tomato & all the seasonings to the rice cooker and cook.  2. When the rice is ready, smashed the

#DINEWITHME: YUK SOU HIN | WEIL HOTEL (IPOH)

Done with my busy schedules, I finally have the time to sit down and blog about my dining experience at YUK SOU HIN @ WEIL HOTEL (IPOH) which took place about two months ago.  I was being invited by the hotel's PR Team at the first place to drop by and review the dim sum which was spearheaded by their   Hong Kong Master Chef, Mr. Chung Ho Shi but unfortunately I'm unable to attend. Later after that, I visited the restaurant with my mum when I dropped by in Ipoh the other day.  It was a busy morning. We went to the restaurant around 11am without any advance reservation, and it took us about 25 minutes to settle down with a table.  The restaurant was packed with customers that day, due to Public Holiday.  Not my first dining experience at Weil Hotel,  YUK SOU HIN  is the final restaurant to wrap up my adventure at this new hotel besides than  THE DECK  and  TIFFIN .  Bored while waiting, I started to explore around and tapping on my Iphone.  While wai